Tuesday, 22 April 2014

Scratch(build) that itch

Hi Guys,

Thanks for stopping by!

Last week I went through the basic bunker and provided you with a semi-step by step view on building this to a basic level Link for reference: http://biel-tan-wip.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/when-you-get-that-itch-you-just-cant.html. That bunker is now pretty much done with the exception of the base which I'll sort out when I decide on my general board theme though I'm leaning towards either an abandoned eldar world that's now covered in sand or possibly a dark grey / lava world. Construction of this wont start till probably late summer but the general plan is similar to the idea set out by +The Wargamers Consortium in their video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvj957aoA6M but basically a 2 foot by 2 foot series of modular tiles to make up a 6 foot by 4 foot board. I really like the idea of a modular table so that you can vary your gaming environment and utilise your board to it's fullest potential, but more on my plans once they are finalised and we are closer to actually making it.... back to the topic at hand.

I was quite happy with where we left the bunker, considering I've not done anything like this for practically a decade it turned out well, but there's always more you can do to these kind of things so armed with my tube of poly filler, an xacto blade, the hot glue gun, some fine sandpaper and some magnets I had kicking it about I set about the bunker and tried to improve what I had already created.

The first thing I did was set about the roof and also the window ledges with the xacto blade to create a more angled edge. I then added some magnets as per picture below.


Next up was a liberal coating of the poly filler to all the surface area's. This was to help create a 'seal' to the foam and at the same time give it a more realistic texture to apply the paint to.


Once the filler had dried I then sanded down all of the rough areas, you can see in this pic that those few magnets alone were enough to hold the weight of the structure incidentally it also shows the bunker post sanding and ready for some paint. I chose the army painter Uniform grey primer and coated the bunker in it.




I then applied a subtle highlight to the edges and shaded the underside of the window ledge and along the edges of the support struts. I tried to make my own stencil to make the Aquila on the roof however it failed and I ended up free handing it. And here's the finished product. Let me know what you think, if you have any comments suggestions questions or any general feedback I'd love to hear it, thanks again for stopping by!